Monday, August 18, 2008

Dead and hot pixel...


On 16th August 2008, it's time for team China to showcase their fireworks in Malaysia International Fireworks Competition in Putrajaya. I went there to brush up my fireworks photography skills. As usual, I carried my 9kg big tripod and all my gear to a nice spot. Set up everything and ready to shoot. The firework performance was impressive. I manage to get a few decent shot.

Reached home about 1am. Tiring and exhausted. I manage to copy all the photo into my 500GB external HDD before I go to bed.

The next day morning, I nicely open up the photo I took last night. I got a shocked. WTF! How come there's so many "colourful pimples" on every photo! I thought I was still dreaming. But then when I look closely on one of the photo taken, gosh! it is DEAD PIXEL! Situation got worst, when I found out that every photo contain dead pixel.

What is dead pixel? Dead pixels are elements on the CCD that do not work at all. This is determined by checking the RGB and luminance value of the pixel. In case of a lens cap shot this should be close to black. If the pixel is instead white or almost white it is a dead pixel.

Damn it! There goes my fireworks photo. I google and find my way through the web. Manage to get some information from Dpreview.com forum on curing dead pixel on Canon EOS 350D. Frankly speaking, it does not help much.

I manage to get some tips and guidance from Photomalaysia.com on how to test your camera for dead pixel accurately using a special software. You can download the software HERE! (by Starzen Technology).

I am a RAW shooter. I am using Canon therefore I use Canon Digital Photo Pro to process all my RAW (.CR2) images.

My step to prepare image from camera:
1. You will need your DSLR, lens (any lens will do, as long as you have lens cap) and of cause the CF card (or SD).
2. Put on the lens cap into your lens.
3. Set your AF mode to MF.
4. Cover your view finder and make sure there's no stray light goes into your viewfinder.
4. Now set your internal camera setting( ISO 400, F16, Shutter speed at 30 second, RAW image quality)
5. Fire the trigger.
6. Wait till the camera ready.

Step to prepare image for Dead Pixel test
1. Copy and save your RAW (.CR2) as TIFF format using Canon DPP (Without any post process)
2. Open Dead Pixel test and plug in your image in TIFF format.
3. Check the result how many DEAD pixel and HOT pixel you have.

What next? Send your camera to service centre for check up and remapping or replace your camera CCD sensor.

1 comment: